Whitehorse City Council is building a highly accessible, flexible and contemporary performing arts centre that will provide an expanded array of arts and cultural opportunities for the entire Whitehorse community to enjoy for generations to come.
Key features of the new facility will include:
- 626-seat auditorium with larger stage and modern backstage area
- 200-seat studio theatre enabling smaller scale works
- multipurpose rehearsal/dance studio
- a greatly expanded range of shows, functions and events
- improved soundshell for community festivals and other outdoor events
- improved car parking, enabling easy and convenient access to the performing arts centre, library, Council offices, local parkland and the nearby Walker Park sports precinct.
The new centre will remain, first and foremost, a community arts and cultural facility, while still attracting high quality national touring shows. The main users of the new centre (an estimated 80 per cent) will be local community groups, schools and community-based Council programs such as the Whitehorse Performing Arts Program's professional Main Season, Midweek Matinee program, sports awards and women’s forum.
Construction is expected to be completed in late 2023.
See the designs for the new Whitehorse performing arts centre and pictures of the works in progress.
Kane Constructions has been appointed as head contractor for the project. They will conduct some preparatory works prior to Christmas 2021. The construction site will then close down for the Christmas/New Year period and reopen mid-January 2022.
Former Whitehorse Mayor Cr Andrew Munroe ushered in the start of construction by turning a sod after a smoking ceremony was performed by Traditional Owners to cleanse the land.
Read the full story and other exciting news in the latest Project Bulletin here.
- Current Parking Plan ( PDF 9.86MB)
- Schematic Design Engagement Consolidated Report 2021 ( PDF 429.45KB)
- Concept Design Stakeholder Engagement Report 2020 ( PDF 396.02KB)
- Stakeholder Engagement Plan December 2019 ( PDF 185.41KB)
- Media Release
- Whitehorse Performing Arts Centre Redevelopment Postcard ( PDF 414.24KB)