Whitehorse City Council is building a highly accessible, flexible and contemporary venue performing arts centre that will provide an expanded array of arts and cultural opportunities for the entire Whitehorse community to enjoy for generations to come.
Key features of the new facility will include:
- 626-seat auditorium with larger stage and modern backstage area
- 200-seat studio theatre enabling smaller scale works
- multipurpose rehearsal/dance studio
- a greatly expanded range of shows, functions and events
- improved soundshell for community festivals and other outdoor events
- improved car parking, enabling easy and convenient access to the performing arts centre, library, Council offices, local parkland and the nearby Walker Park sports precinct.
The new centre will remain, first and foremost, a community arts and cultural facility, while still attracting high quality national touring shows. The main users of the new centre (an estimated 80 per cent) will be local community groups, schools and community-based Council programs such as the Whitehorse Performing Arts Program's professional Main Season, Midweek Matinee program, sports awards and women’s forum.
It is anticipated that construction of the performing arts centre will commence late 2021 with an expected completion date of late 2023.
See the designs for the new Whitehorse performing arts centre and pictures of the works in progress.
Construction of the open double-storey car park is now complete and the stage is set for the start of construction of the Whitehorse performing arts centre later this year. Stay tuned for more details!
George Huon, Principal of BKK Architects, describes the Whitehorse performing arts centre project as a “once-in-a-lifetime” opportunity to design an enduring asset for the Whitehorse community. Find out what inspired the design, what he loves about the design and what sets it apart from other similar facilities. Read more here.
- Schematic Design Engagement Consolidated Report 2021 ( PDF 429.45KB)
- Concept Design Stakeholder Engagement Report 2020 ( PDF 396.02KB)
- Stakeholder Engagement Plan December 2019 ( PDF 185.41KB)
- Current Parking Plan ( PDF 1.12MB)
- Media Release
- Whitehorse Performing Arts Centre Redevelopment Postcard ( PDF 414.24KB)